She is undoubtedly the golden girl of Indian tennis and there is more about her that we need to know. Sania Mirza is a true inspiration to all our future generations and we wish her all good fortune on this birthday!!!
1. Sania’s father Imran Mirza kept his journalism career aside for his daughter’s tennis career.
2. Sania was born in Mumbai and brought up in Mumbai. Sania was six when she started playing tennis.
3. Sania received Arjuna Award in 2004 and WTA awarded her with “Newcomer of the Year” . Later in 2006 she was given Padmashri.
4. Sania had a huge crush on Russian Tennis star Marat Safin.
5. In September 2014, some conversations raised objections and issued “fatwa” against her and hurt Sania vowed that she will never play in India.
6. Sania was once engaged with her childhood friend Sohrab Mirza in 2009. However, it didn’t work and both moved on.
7. Later Sania married Sohaib Akhtar on April 2010. Sania’s father gave her 61 lakhs as ‘Meher’.
8. Post marriage Sania Mirza was the most searched person on Google. She was named one of the 50 heroes of of Asia by Time Magazine in October 2005. In March 2010, Economic times named her in the list of “33 women who made India proud”
9. Sania Mirza became the second tennis player to receive the country’s highest sporting honour after Leander Peas when she was conferred with Rajiv Gandhi Khel Award in 2015.