Some people may think it to be a shit, and that they do not need a day to love someone. Well, I totally agree but still can’t hide the fact that the day has something special in air. Something that can’t be touched or seen but yes can easily be felt. The day is not just confined for couples to celebrate but it is for everyone who knows to love.
Well whether you are steadfastly single or joyfully coupled up, you must be curious about the secrets this special day hold. So here are some mind blowing facts about Valentine’s Day you must know.
1. There are three different Saint Valentines who have been mentioned by the martyrologies of the Roman Catholic Church. Three different Saints, three different theories.
2. The most renowned one about the day was of ‘Bishop Valentine’ who wrote a letter on 14th February to his wife from jail, signing “from your Valentine” and was executed for marrying her beloved secretly, when the marriages were prohibited by their Emperor during wartime.
3. The beautiful red roses, whose production is about 196 million to celebrate this day, is a favorite flower of Venus, the Roman goddess of LOVE.
4. Meant as an alternative to Valentine’s Day, the day is for single people to celebrate ‘Singles Awareness Day (SAD)’ instead.
5. Teachers receive the most Valentine’s cards, followed by children, mothers, wives and then sweethearts. So if you are extremely fond of this day, here’s the career advice!
6. 220,000 is the average number of wedding proposals on Valentine’s Day each year. And if you ask a girl, it is the best out of 365.
7. According to Greeting Card Association, It is the second largest seasonal card sending time of the year, after Christmas.
8. The first Valentine’s Day box of chocolates was introduced by Richard Cadbury in 1868, leading to sale of more than 35 million heart-shaped boxes of chocolate for Valentine’s Day, every year.
9. In the middle ages, single men and women used to draw names from a bowl to have their Valentine. The phrase “Wear your heart on your sleeve” came out of this, since they used to wear this name pinned onto their sleeves for one next week for everyone to see.
10. 73 percent of people who buy flowers for Valentine’s Day are men, while only 27 percent are women. Also, men spend almost twice as much for the day as women do.
11. 15 percent of U.S. women send flowers to themselves on Valentine’s Day. More than nine million pet owners that make to around 3 percent buy Valentine gifts for their pets. Single? Try something new this time!
12. According to the condom company Durex, condom sales are highest around Valentine’s Day, which are 20-30% higher than usual. Also, more at-home pregnancy test kits are sold in March than in any other month.
13. Over 50% of all the Valentine’s Day cards are purchased in the six days prior to the holiday, making Valentine’s Day a procrastinator’s delight.
14. BBC reports that Shiv Sena, a nationalist political party in India, spoke against Valentine’s Day celebration in country and called it “Nothing but a Western onslaught on India’s culture to attract youth for commercial purposes”.
Love it or hate it, Valentine’s Day is just around the corner. Make the best out of the day. Design it special for your loved ones and remember anybody can be your Valentine, even your pet!