The world sees Bollywood as one big party. But, there is more to bollywood than colourful clothes, music and dancing. Here is listing 16 interesting things about Bollywood.
1. Indian Film industry is older than Hollywood.The first Bollywood movie came out in 1899 and 1907 saw the first Hollywood movie.
2. Indians buy 2.7 billion movie tickets annually, the highest in the world. But average ticket prices are among the lowest in the world so revenues are a fraction compared to Hollywood.
3. Waheeda Rehman has played both mother and lover to Amitabh Bachchan. She played his love interest in ‘Adalat’ (1976) and mother in ‘Trishul’ (1978).
4. In the film ‘Heroine,’ Kareena Kapoor wore over 130 different dresses by top fashion designers from all over the world. It has been reported that Kareena’s wardrobe for the film was one of the most expensive out of all the Bollywood movies ever created!
5. Tom cruise was considered for Dilwale dulhania Le jayenge
6. Anil Kapoor’s family lived in Raj Kapoor’s garage when they first moved to Mumbai. Later, they shifted to a room in one of Mumbai’s middle-class suburbs.
7. Salman Khan likes to collect soaps. In his bathroom, there is a collection of all kinds of handmade and herbal soaps. His favourites are soaps made from natural fruit and vegetable extracts.
8. The ‘Khalnayak’ song ‘Choli Ke Peeche’ was protested by as many as 42 political parties
9. Dev Anand picked up his movie titles and storylines from newspaper headlines and stories
10. Devika Rani was the first actress with a degree in film-making
11. Hrithik Roshan is actually Hrithik Nagrath
12. Dharmendra’s fee when he debuted in 1960 in the movie ‘Dil Bhi Tera Hum Bhi Tere’ was a meager 51 rupees.
13. Mohammad Rafi, who loved watching boxing, requested the organisers on his tour to Chicago to get him an appointment with Muhammad Ali. Otherwise a busy man, Ali proceeded to Rafi’s hotel room when he found out that the legendary Indian singer wanted to meet him.
14. Because the cinema industry was still considered a low profession in the 40s, music director Naushad was introduced by his parents to his bride as a tailor. And ironically, the music that played in his ‘baraat’ was from ‘Rattan’ (1944) – that had been composed by him.
15. Amitabh Bachchan is so punctual that many a times he used to open the gates of Filmistan Studios himself for he used to reach the place before the watchman or gatekeeper.
16. Style diva Rekha wears only crimson or chocolate colored lipstick when making public appearances.
Which of these facts fascinated you? Let us know in the comments. Please share and like.